Friday, January 16, 2009

Another week down

Another week down and it feels like things are starting to stabilize a bit.

Andy took his first trip out of town this week since Nora has been born. My parents came to visit and help out while he was gone, so I really didn't have to try taking care of Nora all alone quite yet. I will try it alone on his next trip to get used to it. She really isn't difficult to take care of, it is just nice to have a break once in a while.


Nora went back to the pediatrician on Wednesday. She weighed 6 lb 13 oz. We got good news at her appointment. Her kidney ultrasound came back normal. Her left kidney is totally normal and her right kidney is only slightly larger than normal, but the doctor said it is not of concern. That is good news. One less thing to worry about!


I have spent this week increasing the number of times per day Nora breastfeeds and decreasing the number of bottles. I am not anti-bottle by any means, but it saves time because otherwise I just have to feed her a bottle and then pump anyway. I continue to pump periodically when Andy or my parents feed Nora. I can now understand why many people discontinue breastfeeding before the 1 year recommendation. It is rather uncomfortable, messy and sort of boring. It seems to take longer for her to feed than a bottle as well. Nevertheless, it is good for Nora and I, so I will continue. This is of course a controversial topic. I am definitely somewhere in the middle of the breastfeeding camps. Not ready to be President-of-La-Leche-League but also not Clipping-Similac-Coupons. I guess I haven't seen breastfeeding as much of a spiritual or bonding experience as some, but recognize the practical and nutritive benefits of it that make it worthwhile.


While formula companies made out big in the 50s, 60s & 70s by offering women an escape from breastfeeding; the pump companies are making out big now that breastfeeding is "in." It would have been wise to invest in Medela (breast pump manufacturer) stock in about 1990 I think. If you are interested more in breastfeeding, read this interesting article on the history of breastfeeding and the business of breastfeeding from the New Yorker just this week . http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/01/19/090119fa_fact_lepore?currentPage=1 (By the way, I don't read the New Yorker every day, but I just happened to hear this author talking on Talk of the Nation this week and looked it up.)

Here is a picture of Nora in her swing Aunt Laura and Uncle Ted got her. She is taking an evening snooze.

No comments:

Post a Comment