Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day after surgery update

Today Nora had a busy day. She was very sleepy most of the day. She has been on a string of pain medications trying to find just the right combination that makes her comfortable and does not make her sick. When I left her tonight, she was sleeping in her crib pretty soundly so I am hoping she is on the right stuff now.

After her surgery she had a tube sticking out of her head called a ventriculostomy. Today the doctor came an removed the tube and tied up the stitches in the hole in her head. As you would expect, this was not her favorite thing to do.

Overall though, she is handling things well. She is not much of a crier in the first place, so I think the nurses and techs comment about how good she is being, but I know that if she is wimpering she is probably not feeling so hot.

Her left side is still not too active. It is ok since she can move it, but it may take a while. Her brain has gone through some trauma with the surgery, so it will just take time. We will start working on it with her physical therapists once she is out of the hospital. She may have to put her crawling on hold for a bit.

She is in the PICU again tonight. Maybe will move to the regular Children's area tomorrow? I doubt she will come home tomorrow, but maybe on the weekend sometime.

Sorry this post isn't too eloquent or organized. I am pretty tired and going to bed as soon as I hit submit!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I will update again tomorrow. If you want more frequent updates, get on facebook. I am posting there throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment